The Cali Roots Pledge
The California Roots Music & Arts Festival is dedicated to creating a safe, creative space for all who participate. We commit to being active, long term allies to BIPOC, AAPI, Latinx, Women, Disability and LGBTQIIA+ communities, using our platform to spread awareness & encourage systematic change in the oppression of underrepresented groups.
To reflect the values of our organization, we are committed to expand diversity, inclusion and equity within our leadership, management, and staff, while educating ourselves and our community. This means learning about the history of oppression, systematic oppression, and becoming more aware of our biases, assumptions, habits, and ignorance. It means acting upon what we learn.
Cali Roots pledges to
- LISTEN to oppressed communities and what they are asking for from allies.
- RECOGNIZE the Indigenous lands we live and work upon. Engage local leaders to inform appropriate cultural protocols and inclusivity.
- ACKNOWLEDGE the history of Reggae music is rooted in Jamaica and ENGAGE Jamaican artists, creatives and leaders to guide us in the best way to share this history with our Community.
- CREATE a council of partners dedicated to discussing & implementing actionable items to bring continuing awareness & change.
- DONATE money and time to anti-oppression organizations.
- COLLABORATE with nonprofit partners who are dedicated to making changes.
- COMMUNICATE weekly actionable ways our community can participate in creating change.
- CHOOSE to work with staff, volunteers, vendors, sponsors, and other business partners whose values and commitments align with ours.
- ENCOURAGE our community to vote for people who will stand for the policy changes needed to protect the oppressed.
- CONTINUE to ENGAGE & INCLUDE our creative community in shaping events that serve the above goals.
We would like to acknowledge that the site of the California Roots Music & Arts Festival, in Monterey, California is on the traditional, ancestral territories and homelands of the Rumsen and Ohlone people. Cali Roots is committed to expanding diversity, inclusion and equity within our leadership, management, and staff, while educating ourselves and our community. This means learning about the history of oppression, systematic oppression, and becoming more aware of our biases, assumptions, habits, and ignorance. To recognize the ancestral lands that we work upon is an important step in learning the long standing history of this region and honoring the people who have called the Monterey Bay home from time immemorial.