In 2015 we achieved some major accomplishments towards our greening goals!
- Diverted 5,560 pounds of food waste from back-of-house vendor areas and public eating areas. (a 30.5 percent increase over 2014 food waste collection and diversion, which was 4,260 pounds.)
- Attendees took advantage of Klean Kanteen’s reusable container options, purchasing 4,872 reusable Klean Kanteen cups.
- 29,232 single-use cups diverted from the landfill.
- Klean Kanteen distributed 4,824 gallons of water through 4 water bottle refilling stations
- The refilling stations diverted approximately 38,594 plastic water bottles
- Trip Zero offset a total of 138,347 lbs of CO2 this year.
- Volunteers and staff brought in 30, 32-gallon bags of trash off the streets and surrounding areas.
California Roots Festival is committed to being a zero-waste event, diverting all vendor organics and recyclables from the landfill as well as composting in public concession areas. The California Roots Festival will again collaborate with The Offset Project (TOP), a local nonprofit, to reduce its waste and associated environmental impacts, including emissions, and to conserve natural resources. TOP will work with vendors on purchasing only compostable and recyclable food ware, and will educate vendors on separating all compostable and recyclable materials in the back of the house. In the public concession areas, attendees will see zero-waste stations, consisting of recycling, composting and trash options, and manned by volunteers who will educate festival-goers on proper separation.